Friday, March 30, 2012
Day -7
Saturday, March 24, 2012
The New Plan
Saturday, March 17, 2012
Delayed Again
Tuesday, March 13, 2012
On Again, Off Again... On Again
Saturday, March 10, 2012
Zoo
Thursday, March 08, 2012
Broken Record
Monday, March 05, 2012
Giving Thanks
Saturday, March 03, 2012
the waiting game
Thursday, March 01, 2012
Possible New Dates (Again)
Last year before the first transplant, there were several good matches that came up in preliminary results, so we're hoping that there will be another person who's a 10/10 HLA match in good health who's willing to donate marrow on short notice.
We're very fortunate that Jacob has good HLA matches; many patients aren't so lucky. As a reminder, we strongly encourage you to join the marrow donor registry; you could save the life of someone special.
For now, everything has basically been moved back a week, but Jacob's admission and transplant dates could get pushed back further depending on donor availability. This is very frustrating for all of us, but we're doing our best to try to stay positive.
Thursday, February 23, 2012
Possible New Dates
Friday, February 17, 2012
Week 3 Update and Seattle Photos
Friday, February 10, 2012
Week 2
Friday, February 03, 2012
Week 1
Thursday, January 26, 2012
This is Happening
Saturday, January 14, 2012
Logisitcs

I have so much to do in so little time! We are heading to Seattle in two weeks. Jacob and I are going to be there for four months. The details of relocating are overwhelming me right now. I'm so thankful that my in-laws will help out caring for Ethan and my parents are going to drive our car all the way to Seattle. Both of those are BIG helps! There are still a lot of things I'm trying to work out. To start off, I've never flown with a child before and all the extra gear that will require: stroller, car seat, his own luggage, my own luggage, carry-ons, etc. How am I supposed to keep track of everything and carry it?? And let's throw on top of that, Jacob is a child that needs to be protected from airport and airplane germs, needs medications transported, some of which need to be refrigerated (how am I supposed to do that? Would TSA let me pack a cooler? Getting through security is going to be a nightmare.)... masks, anti bacterial wipes, Purell...Housing is also stressing me out. I wanted to get an apartment at the Ronald McDonald House, but it turns out, we'd have to be in communal housing (shared kitchen and laundry room) until Jacob is discharged. Then they would try to move us to the apartment style, self contained housing for BMT patients, if there is one open (they only have 10 of those). I'm not sure I want to do the communal housing thing, although the RMH is closest to the hospital. The other option would be to get into the Pete Gross apartments, which are closest to the out-patient clinic. Although they didn't look as nice as the RMH, we'd have our own apartment, with laundry, full kitchen, and a separate bedroom & sleeper couch, from the get go. Breathe, Kylene, breathe....
Tuesday, January 10, 2012
Perfectly Matched Donors
Many of you have asked how you can help our family. One way is to sign up for the National Marrow Donor Program at bethematch.org. Jacob is very fortunate to have matches, but many children have to settle for less than perfect matches, increasing their risk for further complications after transplant. The more people who sign up to be donors, the more chances there will be for children to have their perfect match. So please sign up! Be someone's hero!
Monday, January 02, 2012
Hopeful for 2012
Tuesday, December 13, 2011
Sleepless in Seattle

Sunday, November 20, 2011
A Way Overdue Update
I apologize for the delay of communication lately. It's not for lack of action around here. In fact, it's quite the opposite. Jacob has been doing well since our last hospitalization in September, but we've had a lot of major decisions to make: whether we want Jacob do go through a second bone marrow transplant, and if so, when, where, and how would we have it done. We have made some progress in some of those areas.
First, after much inner conflict on my part, we have decided that we should try again. It was a very difficult decision to come to seeing Jacob eating well again and watching his counts creep back toward normalcy. I hate to start from square one and watch him suffer and face complication after complication all over again. I feel grateful that he is almost completely recovered from his transplant in April. He even got the okay to join everyone for our Thanksgiving dinner.
The second question we face is when would we want to go through transplant again. My initial decision was to wait a year or so to enjoy having him healthy and at home again. However, part of the complication that presents, is with CGD, there is a window of good health that is ideal for transplant. The patient must be free from infections, namely fungal (e.g. aspergillus) infections, otherwise, he can no longer be a candidate for transplant because of the increase in risk. Once a patient gets a fungal infection, the doctors are never convinced that it is completely gone, even if labs and procedures say it is gone. It is just too sneaky of an infection and could prove fatal if found in an immunosuppressed (BMT) patient.
So, thinking through that logic, we decided the sooner the better, as much as it pains me to say it. Jacob has never had a major fungal infection that has been detected. He's had some abnormalities on his lungs, swollen lymphnodes, that came back benign after a biopsy was performed pre (first) transplant. After Jacob underwent chemotherapy at Children's Hospital Los Angeles, there was a test that indicated that Jacob may have had a nonspecific fungal infection, but it was never determined what it was and was never detected again after that. The other minor issue that pushed us to sooner rather than later on a second transplant was that his doctor wanted to have his central line removed. It might sound silly, but I'd rather have his line removal be a sign of a successful BMT and recovery, not just a postponement of more dreadful things to come. So there you have it.
That brings us to where and how we'd like to have it done. After being in communication with a couple of other CGD moms, I really liked the sound of going to Texas Children's. They have transplanted 15 CGD patients, 10 of which were unrelated donors, with a 100% success rate. Those are amazing numbers! After I brought it up to Jacob's doctor, he suggested we also investigate Seattle Children's, as well as do a followup with the team at Children's L.A.
The team at CHLA admitted that they didn't know why Jacob rejected his graft. They had a few possibilities to explain it, but nothing for certain. They also mentioned that if he went through another reduced intensity transplant, he'd have a 25% chance of rejecting the graft again. However, if we did a full myeloid ablative protocol, which they were recommending, he'd only have a 10% chance of rejecting the graft, but a 25% chance of mortality. Neither option sounded very hopeful to me, and I left not feeling any better than before we consulted with them.
Incidentally, the BMT doctor and CGD specialist doctor we met with at CHLA noticed the rash that Jacob has had on his face recently (see the picture above). The CGD specialist wanted to rule out the possibility of a fungal rash and suggested getting it cultured. The BMT doctor thought it looked like graft versus host disease (GVHD) and got our hopes up slightly about the possibility that the donor cell count might have increased. Neither seems to have been the case. I had just figured it was the same sort of eczema rash common amongst GCD carriers. A blood sample was sent off to check Jacob's chimerism (the percentage of donor cells vs. his old cells), and unfortunately there was no evidence of improvement in donor cell engraftment. A dermatologist assessed Jacob and said the rash didn't look fungal.
A couple of weeks after our CHLA appointment, our doctor called saying he spoke to Seattle Children's and would have them give us a call because they are running a trial up there for which Jacob would qualify. Basically, they replace busulfan, which is an extremely toxic chemotherapy drug used in bone marrow transplantation, with a trial drug called treosulfan. Treosulfan does the same job of aggressively killing the immune system in preparation for transplantation, without the same toxicity to the liver and lungs, and is still a myeloid ablative chemotherapy, which increases the chance for engraftment. It is a preferred drug to high risk patients like Jacob and other children with immune deficiencies, because it does less damage to the body. They are in phase two of the trial and have tranplanted 28 patients in the past two years, 3 of which were CGD patients, who are all doing well. The mortality rate is 10%, versus 25% with busulfan. The one patient that they lost came in for a second transplant and was already suffering from severe GVHD. We are hopeful that Jacob is in good enough health from the start that he would pull through successfully. 100% of their patients engrafted. After speaking directly with the doctor conducting the trial, both Josh and I feel good about traveling there for a consultation and to meet with the transplant and immunology teams. We are waiting to hear about travel arrangements and such.
The other bonus about Seattle (and this may seem trivial), is that Kaiser has a contract with them so we would not have to file appeals to have our insurance cover the transplant, like we'd have to if we ended up going to Texas Children's. It's just one less concern to have to stress over, however unimportant it may sound.
Thursday, September 22, 2011
Cultures & Medicine
We ended up moving back to peds, which means the doctors feel he is heading in the right direction. The bacterial culture from this morning came back negative for the first time since we were admitted. That means the treatment seems to be working. Also, Jacob’s c. diff infection came back negative. While that is good news, I’m not holding my breath on that one since we’ve had negative results before only to come back positive again. The para influenza virus that Jacob was admitted for a couple weeks ago is still coming back positive, so they started him on an antiviral to help him. The positive reading could just be from proteins that the virus made in his blood, but they want to treat him for it just to be cautious. If the treatments go well, we could be home in 7-10 days. They are also treating Jacob’s central line by letting an antibiotic sit in there for 12 hours. They don’t want to take any chances of the bacteria sticking to the line and coming back. I’m glad they are being very thorough. Jacob seems to be feeling better. He can sit up on his own to play for a few minutes and he is happy, which makes me happy too.