Sunday, October 07, 2012

6 months post transplant

This weekend marks 6 months since Jacob received his second bone marrow transplant. It's hard for me to think back six months to that weekend. He had just finished a week long conditioning of intense chemotherapy. His little body was torn down and I thought my heart might break. They kept him so drugged, he slept most of the time. Thankfully, Josh was there in Seattle to give us support.

Jacob has come a long way since then. His new donor cells successfully engrafted and he is slowly getting better day by day. So far he has been off immunosuppression (Cellcept) for a week. Since stopping that medication, his fevers also seem to have stopped. He still has cold symptoms and I won't know how his heart is doing until he has another ultrasound tomorrow. He still has a long way to go, but it feels good to have those 6+ difficult months behind us. I believe Jacob has definitely had more than his fair share of transplant complications. It's time for good reports for him from here on out! I will update again after tomorrow's appointment when I have more information on his current condition.


Visiting Grandma Joyce & Grandpa Paul


The boys watching their new ants


My handsome boys


Our first date since being home from Seattle

3 comments:

Sally said...

6 months! That's great. I pray for you all. I totally recognize the effects of steroids on Jacob's little body. I can't wait for the day when you look at him, and even you wonder if it was all a bad dream. Love you guys.

Eric said...

This is great to see! It looks like the road is finally starting to become smooth and level.

Delanie said...

So happy for your sweet family. Jacob is so cute and looks like he is feeling well in the pictures. Ethan is quite handsome and it was fun to see his birthday party pictures in your previous post. (We were all praying you wouldn't have to go back to Seattle.) And it was fantastic to see you and Josh on a date! You guys are truly an inspiration.

Love,
The McKendrick Family