Thursday, September 22, 2011

Cultures & Medicine

We ended up moving back to peds, which means the doctors feel he is heading in the right direction. The bacterial culture from this morning came back negative for the first time since we were admitted. That means the treatment seems to be working. Also, Jacob’s c. diff infection came back negative. While that is good news, I’m not holding my breath on that one since we’ve had negative results before only to come back positive again. The para influenza virus that Jacob was admitted for a couple weeks ago is still coming back positive, so they started him on an antiviral to help him. The positive reading could just be from proteins that the virus made in his blood, but they want to treat him for it just to be cautious. If the treatments go well, we could be home in 7-10 days. They are also treating Jacob’s central line by letting an antibiotic sit in there for 12 hours. They don’t want to take any chances of the bacteria sticking to the line and coming back. I’m glad they are being very thorough. Jacob seems to be feeling better. He can sit up on his own to play for a few minutes and he is happy, which makes me happy too.


Our Family said...

I have never heard of leaving an antibiotic in the central line, however it makes sense!

Alice said...

Hi Kylene,
I have been following your blog and hoping for the best for your son. I also have a son with CGD and we are considering BMT as well. Would you mind if I asked you some questions about the BMT process? Please email me at

I know this may be a crazy time for you guys... but we just found a 9/10 match donor and I am realizing how overwhelming this whole thing is... Thank you. Alice