Saturday, October 10, 2009
Update on Jacob
Thank you to everyone who has been so supportive during this difficult time for our family. I'm so grateful for the many many words of encouragement and support, and to know of all the prayers being offered in Jacob's behalf. He is now on his 12th day in the hospital with no end in sight. He seems to be running into one complication after another and just when I think we've hit the bottom, I find out it can get worse. Right now they're suspecting he may have picked up the flu at the hospital (most likely, swine flu) because of his spiking fevers the past three days, and last night be began vomiting. They did a swab last night and will know the results in a few days. Once he recovers from this virus and the pneumonia (which was confirmed positive in a chest x-ray yesterday), they will decide what treatment will be best to treat the Crohn's flare up. On a positive note, last they checked, his red blood cell count was up from 8.4 to 8.6. Normal range is between 10-14. It's good to see it coming up because if it dips into the 7's, he would need a blood transfusion. We are anxiously awaiting the PICC line because his weight continues to decline. WIth a PICC line in place, he can be nourished through it. Despite the heavy weight of this trial, we truly feel of your love and feel so blessed to have such wonderful friends and family to buoy us up along the way.